Henry had another relaxing day today in his path to recovery! Henry had fluoroscopy of his lungs/chest done this morning (similar to the bronchogram he had earlier this week) to take a second look at Henry's diaphragm to again confirm the presence of the problems on his left side. There was some debate on whether or not the nerve was irritated or damaged that was causing the diaphragm to work incorrectly, and this test was to confirm that surgery was necessary. For all of the procedures/testing they perform on his lungs, Henry has to be off sedation and breathing over the vent settings in order to accurately diagnose problems. With the lower sedation comes a little bit of personality and some discomfort as he wants this tube in his nose out (vent) but isn't quite ready to breath on his own and doesn't understand why. Luckily his providers were able to confirm the paralyzed diaphragm pretty quickly and are now planning for the plication (pinning of his diaphragm) as a result. Henry will have surgery on Monday and will have a nice weekend of more R&R until then. Next week will be an exciting week with both surgery and another attempt at extubation depending on his pace of recovery. We, of course, can't wait to get our arms around him again and are waiting patiently:)
-Kate and Julie (a.k.a. nurse assistants:)
Julia, this is Danielle from work. I found your blog with a little help from Erica C. My husband I have been thinking of you guys and are now keeping up with the blog. I am glad to hear little henry is staying fiesty! He is lucky to have such loving, smart, and supportive parents by his side giving him strength. Sending much love your way. PS The brown bear in the pic doesn't happen to be the one I gave him after he was born is it?! :) Either way I hope it's bringing him some comfort.
ReplyDeleteHey sis-
ReplyDeleteIt's Erica. Hope Henry likes the pillow pet! Maryn has started to collect them- she has the unicorn and the dolphin and wants the ladybug next :) I'll be out of town this weekend but I want to stop by to see you all next week if that's okay. We've all just got over colds/congestion so I want to make sure it's GONE before I show up there. Give us at work an update after Henry's surgery on Monday. We think about all of you every day and people always ask how Henry is doing. Keep us posted and give him our love!
Danielle- it is totally the bear you gave him when he was a newborn! He is now lovingly called "Mr. Bear" (we are hoping Henry is more creative in the naming department later), and at home Henry won't sleep without him! At the hospital we continue to sneak him in Henry's arms to cuddle with- definitely bringing him comfort! Thank you again!!
ReplyDeleteErica- Thank you so much for "Mr. Monkey" (again- hoping Henry will name him something much cuter!). We're working on introducing the pillow at home and this just might do the trick!! He is going to LOVE it!! Come visit anytime (sans the germs of course- thanks for being cautious:). We'll likely be in the PICU at least through the next week. Thanks again!
Kate & Julia, That makes me soooooo happy to know that Mr. Bear and Henry are so close! :) I'm sure he will rename Mr. Bear a few more times and I bet they will get more and more creative as time goes on! Have a good restful weekend and we will look forward to hearing the update Mon. about tough lil' Henry! Sending positive thoughts your way.
ReplyDelete~Danielle